The Keeton Opioid Educational Program for Patients
- Explains what patients and their families need to know to use their medications appropriately and safely.
- It explains the risks or opioids.
- It is easily understood.
- It can be shared with family and other support persons. The ability to share this information with support persons is critical, because it allows them to better support the patient and to watch for signs of addiction.
- It contains easy to understand segments and requires patient to pass test prior to proceeding to next segment.
- Very importantly, it does NOT require any of the physician’s or staff’s valuable time to provide this education.
- The physician’s office is provided with a copy of the instructional content.
While opioids can be very beneficial to patients in severe pain who have failed all other options, they can be dangerous and even lethal if used inappropriately.