Who Will Benefit from The Keeton Opioid Educational Program?
Patients and their families will learn:
- Safe and appropriate use opioid medications
- The dangers of opioids to themselves and others
- How to safeguard their opioid medications
- How to handle left over opioids
- Why opioids must not be shared or borrowed
- Consequences of driving while on opioids
- The warning signs of addiction
- The necessity of having a proper attitude
- Meet requirements of educating patients including each item of Opioid Agreement & Informed Consent
- Documentation of exactly what information was covered with the patient
- Documentation that patient was duly informed that opioids can be addictive, and even deadly
- No increased physician or staff time required!
- Possibility of reimbursement via MIPs (Merit-based Incentive Payment System)
- Added value for your opioid prescribers
- Demonstrate “due diligence” in making patients aware of all of the risks associated with opioids
- Easier access to physicians and caregivers who prescribe opioids
- Patients and caregivers will be better informed
- Understanding the need for strict control of opioids can lead to a decrease in opioid hoarding, a decrease in prescribing opioids, and decrease in costs associated with patients suffering from chronic pain.